Atayef, or qatayef, is the official dessert of Ramadan. Even if it's not the official dessert, it should be.
I can't imagine a Ramadan without atayef. Cheese, cream, or walnut stuffed. Baked or fried. They're all equally delicious.
Atayef are very similar to pancakes. They are made by pouring a thin batter on a hot pan or skillet and cooked on one side, only. After they cool, they are stuffed with cheese, walnuts, or cream and folded in half. Once the atayef are stuffed with the filling of your choice, they are either deep fried or baked and then drizzled with simple syrup. Are you hungry yet?
Whip up a batch of atayef for your next iftar and get creative with your fillings! Nutella, maybe?
Servings: 15 servings
Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
2 cups flour
1/2 cup semolina
2 cups warm water
1 cup warm milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1-1/2 cup chopped walnuts
4 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 pound ackawi cheese, shredded
4 tablespoons sugar
1) In a blender, combine flour, semolina, water, milk, sugar, yeast, baking powder, and salt. Blend on high speed for 2 minutes.
2) Pour the batter into a large bowl. Cover. Set aside and allow the batter to rest for 30 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, heat a skillet or pancake griddle on medium heat.
4) On a tray, place a lint free cotton towel. This will be used under the pancakes.
5) Pour or scoop batter on griddle, using approximately 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook on one side only!
6) Using a spatula, remove pancakes and place on the towel. Cover with another towel right away.
7) Allow to cool completely before filling.
8) To Fry: In a skillet or frying pan, add about 1 inch of oil. Heat on medium-high heat to 350*F. Add atayef and fry until golden brown on both sides.
9) Let drain on a paper towel lined plate.
10) Drizzle with simple syrup and serve right away!
- Atayef can also be baked. Preheat your oven to 400*F. Brush each individual atayef with ghee or cooking oil and lay flat on baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from the oven and drizzle with simple syrup.