Freekeh has been a staple in the Middle Eastern diet for many years. Freekeh is a wheat that is harvested while it's still green, then roasted over an open fire. It has such a wonderful earthy and nutty flavor. Aside from it's amazing flavor, freekeh is loaded with nutritional benefits. Freekeh is low in fat and high in protein and fiber, making it a winner when you compare it to quinoa.
This side dish is so simple and easy to make. I love to serve it with chicken or steak. Freekeh is always a superstar at Arab dinner parties, but it's usually made without heavy cream or mushrooms. This recipe calls for mushrooms, heavy cream, and Parmesan cheese. While freekeh is a healthy, low fat option, this recipe, specifically is not. But trust me, when you taste this dish, you'll know it's totally worth all the calories!
Make it for dinner with roasted chicken and you'll be going back for seconds.
Creamy Freekeh with Mushrooms
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1 cup freekeh
1/4 cup oil, or butter
1/2 cup onion, diced
8 ounce package of mushrooms, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup water
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1) In a bowl, soak the freekeh in hot water for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2) In a pot, heat oil or butter on low-medium heat. Add diced onions and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until all the moisture from the mushrooms has evaporated.
3) Add the freekeh and toast for a few minutes, stirring continuously.
4) Once the freekeh is toasted, stir in the water, salt, cardamom, and black pepper and cover. Cook on low heat until all the water has been absorbed.
5) Once fully cooked, add the heavy cream and Parmesan and cook until the mixture starts to boil. Let sit for a few minutes.
6) Transfer on to a serving plate and enjoy!
- For a lighter version, you can substitute the heavy cream for whole milk.