Pistachio & Rose Bundt Cake
(كيكة الفستق والورد)
Pistachio and rose are a match made in dessert heaven. Put them in a cake and you've got yourself an amazing dessert that takes you to the Middle East.
When I first made this cake, it was the end of summer but not quite fall weather. So I felt that any apple or pumpkin cake would need to wait for the cooler months. The flavor of rose water is very popular in so many Arabic desserts. But it's usually used to flavor the simple syrup that's drizzled on top of the dessert. And when there's rose water simple syrup, there's always crushed pistachios that go along with it.
And that's when it came to me! Why not put them in cake?
The main flavors in this cake are rose water, pistachios and cardamom. Rose water is made by steeping rose petals in water. Now it's super important to buy a brand that doesn't water down the rose water. One of my favorite rose water brands for Arabic desserts is the Tazah Rose Water. It's super fragrant and adds a wonderful flavor to my desserts.
Now, I know that most cakes start with butter because it packs so much flavor. However, oil based cakes usually bake with more height, are lighter, and have more crumbs. They tend to stay more moist over time. Now don't get me wrong - I love butter based cakes. But when a cake has so much spice and flavor in it, the flavor of the butter doesn't make a difference.
This cake is the perfect treat with a cup of coffee or tea. This cake takes minimal effort to make and comes together in just a few minutes.
Make this for a small gathering, or as a treat for yourself to enjoy with your morning coffee. Either way, I know you'll fall in love.
Pistachio & Rose Bundt Cake
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35- 40 minutes
1 cup cane or white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, or 1 packet of vanilla sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons Tazah Rose Water
1/4 cup dried rose petals (optional)
1/4 cup crushed pistachios
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1) Preheat your oven to 370*F.
2) Grease the bottom and sides of a 12-cup bundt pan generously.
3) In a bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and ground cardamom. Whisk and set aside.
4) In the bowl of your stand mixer (or with an electric mixer), beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla on high speed for 2 minutes. Add the oil, milk, and rose water. Mix.
5) Add in the dried rose petals and crushed pistachios and mix until combined.
6) Slowly add flour mix and mix on low speed until combined. Don't over mix.
7) Pour the cake mix into the greased bundt pan.
8) Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Check the cake at the 35 minute mark (this all depends on your oven).
9) Let your cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
10) Invert the slightly cooled bundt cake onto a serving plate. Slice, top with more crushed pistachios and enjoy!
1) The dried rose petals are totally optional. The flavor of the cake will still be amazing without them.
2) Store cake in an airtight container at room temperature for 4 days.