Rose & Cardamom Tres Leches Cake
Wow. It's one of my favorite cakes, ever. I love to make it for a crowd, you'll understand when you take that first bite. You won't be able to hold back and you'll just end up eating the whole cake.
I really love making a classic tres leches cake, but one day I was hosting a dinner and I chose a Middle Eastern theme and wanted the dessert to fit the theme.
And that's how this recipe came together.
I just love the combination of ground cardamom, rose water and pistachios - they go so well together. So, I thought, why not give it a try? I don't add too much cardamom, but feel free to adjust based on your preference. Ground cardamom is super strong so be careful with how much you add.
Have you ever tried Tres Leches Cake? If you haven't - you definitely need to make this recipe. Tres Leches Cake is an amazing dessert that's originally from Central America.
You start out by baking a light and fluffy cake. That's why it's so important to whip your egg whites separately, then fold them into the cake mixture. When you fold in the egg whites, you're adding air into the batter, which results in a light cake. Fold, slowlyyyy. it's therapeutic.
While the cake is still warm, poke it with a fork or toothpick to create holes. Then, pour over the milk mixture and let the cake absorb all the liquid.
It will definitely look like you added way too much milk at the beginning, but I promise you it's not. The cake will absorb all of the milk within minutes.
Let the cake cool completely before adding the whipped cream on top. Refrigerate for a few hours, sprinkle on some pistachios and dried rose petals and enjoy!
Make this cake, and savor every bite. It's definitely perfect for special occasions.
Prep Time: 1 hour (plus 5-6 hours to cool in the fridge)
Bake Time: 30-40 minutes
5 Eggs, separated into whites and yolks
1 cup Sugar, divided into 3/4 and 1/4 cup
1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
2 tablespoons Rose Water
1/3 cup Whole Milk
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
1.5 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 can Evaporated Milk
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/4 cup Heavy Cream
1/4 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
1-3/4 cups Heavy Cream
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 tablespoon Rose Water
Dried Rose Petals
1) Preheat oven to 350*F. Spray a 9"x13" baking dish and set aside.
2) In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, ground cardamom, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
3) In another bowl, beat the egg whites and 1/4 cup of sugar on high until you get stiff peaks. Set aside.
4) In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and 3/4 cup of sugar until it becomes a soft yellow color. Add milk, vanilla extract, and rose water.
5) Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and mix until well combined. Don't overmix!
6) Gently fold in egg white mix into the cake batter. Make sure to do this slowly and carefully.
7) Pour batter into baking dish. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8) As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pierce it with a toothpick several times all around.
9) Milk Mixture: Combine the evaporated milk, condensed milk, heavy cream, and ground cardamom. Mix until well combined. Evenly pour over the cake, making sure to pour over the edges, as well.
10) Set the cake aside and let it absorb the milk mixture. Let it cool completely.
11) Whipped Cream: Whip the heavy cream with the sugar and rose water until you get stiff peaks. Spread over the cake.
12) Let cake cool in the fridge for 5-6 hours before serving.
12) When ready to serve, sprinkle the crushed pistachios and dried rose petals over the whipped cream. Enjoy!